An Election Year with the Wrong Focus

Yes, it is an election year. Yes, I understand the everything that will get covered by the mainstream media will be GOP focused (unless the incumbent does something miraculous...). However, I find myself particularly uninterested in the GOP election. NONE of the candidates are people that I would feel comfortable running the country. There is too much fanaticism, too much complaining, too much "anti-Romney" bull$#!@ clouding the campaigns of EVERY candidate (Romney himself seems misguided, unfocused, and not genuine in any respect.) for me to get behind, much less consider, any Republican at this moment.
What about the incumbent? It seems to me that people keep saying that he has not lived up to his promises. To that, I say, how can you fault a man/his team for having set goals that would improve the country as a whole, the economy that needs help so badly, and tried to fix the awful quagmire of a mess that previous administrations have dumped in the lap of the American people? Yes, he has not met all the goals that he has set - but who does? I would like anyone to give me a President that actually DID live up to ALL his promises, met all his goals, and cured every ailment that the country had during his time in office.
Pres. Obama has done the best he can with what he had. He set goals, tried to achieve those goals, and when he saw that they may not be realistic or practical, he CHANGED his plan!! How can you fault a man for being adaptable and who looks forward to the consequences that may come from pursuing futile endeavors? You can't. He has been a proactive, conscientious, leader who wants the best for our country and the people who live in and make it what it is. How can I NOT support someone like that? Now, this was not meant to be a Pro-Obama plug by any means, but he has done an admirable job with what he has been given.
On a more basic level - I LIKE that the I have services like police, fire, and garbage disposal. I LIKE that we have people that, for the most part, are given stewardship over our basic rights (education, security, etc.) so that I do not have to worry about them. I like having organizations that defend and promote the self actualizing activities of art, music, theater, etc. I am fine paying taxes in order to support those people. I am willing to give up some of my own "liberty" so that the government can help to take care of my family and I. By virtue of having a government, it is expected that that is what the majority of the people desire as well. I dread the day that we get someone actually in control of those organizations that wants "less government control". What happens then? I shudder to think...

1 comment:

Yodasmom said...

Nick, you have every right to not like the GOP candidates...I don't really adore any of them either.However I know you are much more intelligent than you write. Obama has failed because he and those "he chose" to have around him wanted to fail in his myriad of broken promises. When the only things you are grateful for is water, sewer and garbage collection;you have missed the whole point of what America is. Obama doesn't care about America, and neither do the people he has chosen to be around him. Read up, educate yourself about the men and women he has advising him...they are bad news and don't care about liberty and freedom.