Anne Frank - Just getting started is the hard part...

We have been in rehearsal for The Diary of Anne Frank for about 2 weeks now and I have run into a pretty major snag. . . My Otto Frank (the father) told me that he has taken a role in a hockey movie and will no longer be able to do the show. I have now had to shuffle the cast around and have a couple of different kids take roles that they were not originally assigned. I even tried to give one role to a new student in order to minimize the impact of the change, but the student turned down the role (which is fine). So now I have moved an actor from a minor role to a major role with a lot of lines. I hope that making these changes will not slow everything down like crazy.
The set is coming along very well. My crew has done quite well with getting the main platforming finished for the show. It will be really nice to have the set all the way finished for most of the blocking process. The blocking process is proving to be rather difficult in such a tight space. I am having a tougher time getting people to focus and actually get what we need to done. I wonder if it is because of the tight quarters that the set provides... that or the content may end up being a little heavy for them. I want them to be able to keep the whole thing light, but I do not want them to make light of the whole situation.
It will interesting to see how things turn out once the new cast members settle in and everyone gets comfortable with the new changes.

1 comment:

E and G said...

I would love to see photos of your set. We did the revised edition two years ago, and it's still one of my most favorite theatre memories ever. I wish you the best of luck with having to switch some people around! It will end up being a wonderful show!